Monday, November 22, 2010

Hospital Reality

I am sitting here at the hospital nice and early waiting for them to prepare Dylan for his surgery this morning. I know a lot of people are wondering what he is having done, but let me tell you that it is not cancer related, however his surgeon Dr LaQuaglia is performing the surgery. It's an embarrassing procedure for Dylan so I am not going to spell it out for you, let's just use your imagination! Anyway, I was just prompted to write, it helps me sometimes. I just saw a little baby, maybe 4 -5 months old here with her grand parents. The nurse came up and asked what she was having today and they replied chemo. They went off to get her port access and my eyes welled up. I try to get a tough skin seeing all this, but even after 6 years it still so hard to see. Poor little baby, knows nothing of life yet except hospital, sickness, needles and pain...I hate it. Why does this happen? I guess we will never know why, it's just so much harder when this happens to children, cancer REALLY sucks! Dylan is nervous but sleeping on the sofa in the waiting room right now. He will be fine in about a week, and I am sure he will enjoy my babying while he recovers. It's Thanksgiving this weekend, a holiday not celebrated in Australia but has now become one of our yearly customs too. We plan to join another "cancer" family for a great meal and good company. I am thankful for Dylan still being here, and for everyone who has helped and continues to help us get through each day. It amazes me how some people are still in strong contact with us, even though they have never met us or Dylan. One thing this whole "cancer" world has taught me is about human kindness, these people are true angels, giving support to us without anything obvious in return. Thank you to everyone, you know who you are, your the ones who remember Dylan's birthday, send a card every holiday and email us regularly just to remind us your here with us as we fight the fight...Thank you with huge hugs. Well back to the hospital reality now...