Saturday, July 2, 2005

Hard night

Last night was a very hard night for Dylan and I. Yesterday they decided to give Dylan his last day of chemo for this round and as a result he really bottomed out. Dylan felt awful all day and I can’t even count how many times he vomited, it seemed continual. After 4 different anti-emetics, Dylan fell asleep at 4pm and woke every half hour to vomit and fall straight back to sleep. His fever still continues and the source is still unknown. As Dylan required so many drugs to try and stop the vomiting, his blood pressure dropped considerably and I feared another trip to the ICU. The doctor started him on another antibiotic at 3am and they gave him a fluid bolus which thankfully brought his BP up and saved us an ICU admission. Dylan woke this morning at about 11am and his eyes were all puffy and he looks totally washed out and miserable. The doctor doing the rounds today is part of the Sarcoma team and he has decided to cease all 3 of Dylan’s antibiotics and start him on an anti fungal antibiotic orally called Fluconazole and has ordered a test for CMV which is a viral condition. Dylan continues on Zofran (Ondansetron) Vistaril (hydroxyzine), Aloxi (Palonosetron) & Ativan (Lorazepam) for nausea and is on the usual Lomotil and Folic Acid. The vomiting, fever and diarrhea continues and we remain in hospital.I wrote a little while ago about Ryan who has been battling Neuroblastoma since he was 5 weeks old, sadly Ryan became an angel last night, he was almost 3 years old. It always upsets me greatly when I hear of another NB angel, particularly when I knew the family personally. I don’t think I have ever met a family more religious and they prayed and trusted in god for a miracle everyday. I have had to hide my tears from Dylan today, this life is so unfair and it is days like today that I loose my strength and my faith. To leave a message on Ryan’s guest book please use this link: Ryan