Tuesday, January 11, 2005

American visa's won't be issue without proof of sufficient funds

O.K here’s the news. Yesterday was a huge hurdle. I contacted the American Consulate who informed me that I would not be allowed in the country without proof of sufficient funds to cover the anticipated medical costs. She explained that I could not even get a waived 90 day visa to attend the consultation! This is all due to the possibility of Dylan becoming unwell once we get to the U.S and then they are obligated to treat him at the cost of their health system. I can understand this. Now this means that I must have half a million Australian dollar’s in order to obtain any type of visa to America.
At 7pm last night, I did an interview on a Sydney radio station which apparently the Federal Health Minister was listening to. After the interview, Mr Tony Abbott rang the radio station and told them that they would fast track and review our application for them to fund Dylan’s treatment overseas. Let’s hope the application is approved!
As a response to the radio interview, “Today Tonight” (A current affairs program) rang me up and they are keen to do a story on us. New Idea magazine also contacted us for a story and are sending a photographer here soon. The New Idea contact was thanks to Dylan’s Teacher, her hard work and persistence has paid off! I am also scheduled for another radio interview on 3AW this morning, hence why I am up so early!
Well, it ain’t over yet. I will continue our fight to get Dylan the treatment that he needs and deserves. I don’t know whether we are coming or going, but I have not cancelled the flights just yet, in case we get that miracle phone call that the funds are available.