Monday, January 10, 2005

Full steam ahead - Flight to New York booked

WOW what a day. It’s 2am and I am still up and adding this entry. Our morning started with a phone call from 3AW radio at 7am. By 8am we were in the car heading to the city to meet with the Lawyers and by 9am I was on the radio, telling our story. We had a great response from callers to the radio station. Some I knew and other’s I didn’t. The most exciting one of all was from the State Health Minister who said that she would look into the matter. We finalized business with the lawyers and then we picked up our passports. From there I went to the American Consulate about my visa. I need to call them tomorrow at 2pm to request an urgent appointment. Then we went to the bank to wire the initial $5,500 US which came to $7,337.24 Australian dollars. We then headed to my work (Australia Post) and Kaye booked our flights. We leave here on Tuesday 18th January at 2:30pm, then fly to Sydney, spend a few hours there, then fly to Soul (don’t know how to spell it) spend a few hours there, then we fly into New York! We arrive in New York at 10:30am Tuesday morning (we gain a day). I then went and bought a huge suitcase, then went to visit friends in regards to the campaign. We finally got home at 9pm.

I notified MSKCC of our arrival date and Dr Modak emailed me back this response ”As things stand now, the first step would be surgery which is tentatively scheduled for January 31st”

I am not sure what the account balance is now, but I am guessing around the $120,000 mark. The surgery that Dylan is scheduled for will be cancelled if they do not receive the $350,000US by then. This is roughly $460,000 Australian dollars. I am stressed that time is running out to raise the money, but at the same time I am so excited that MSKCC are all prepared to do the surgery. In Australia this surgery is not possible and without it, Dylan will die. I know that we will still have to clear his bone marrow and then get him to remission…and keep him in remission, but surgery is the first leap towards his possible cure. I am confident that with the success they have had already, with 3F8 monoclonal antibodies, that Dylan will be another success added to their list. If not, there are still other trials he can try in America that are not available in Australia. I just have to hope that the financial situation will work out soon and that someone will come to our rescue fast, and our wishes can begin to come true.

I will never be able to repay all the generous people that have put us closer to this becoming a reality. I can only hope that you will all be rewarded by seeing Dylan arrive back in Australia, free from cancer and enjoying life as he so deserves. If Dylan’s fighting spirit is anything to go by, this will surely happen. He is so well at the moment and very happy, as every little 6 year should be. He does not seem too concerned about the trip overseas, but he did have trouble getting his head around why Nana could not visit him in America.

Please everybody, keep spreading the word and advertising the campaign. Keep at the newspapers and the radio…we can do this, I know we can. I am so much more confident today, In fact today is the first day that I have not cried since Dylan was diagnosed.