Saturday, January 8, 2005

Dylan in the Herald Sun newspaper - $108,000 raise so far

Today was a good day. I got a message this morning that Dylan was in the Herald Sun newspaper, so I quickly got dressed and rushed out to get the paper. I was so happy when I saw that they had put in a photo as well, that will grab people’s attention for sure! It was Dylan’s teacher along with Dylan’s aunty that sent in the letters. It was great, just the sort of message I was trying to get across to the country. They wrote basically about the fact that something needs to be done about Dylan’s situation, particularly in regards to the government stepping in. It explained how we are bringing children from overseas her for medical treatment on a regular basis, and soon they will bring children from the Tsunami disaster’s here, yet we can’t seem to send a little boy out of Australia when Australia cannot treat the condition. I am hoping we get a good response from this. I have already received wonderful emails from the caring community and as you can see, many have signed the guestbook. I have picked up more letter's from Australia Post and I was totally shocked to find that a donation had been sent from America, in American dollars!

Dylan’s aunts, uncles and cousins came for a visit today, and Dylan had a great time playing tag in the backyard with them. He really looks so well at the moment! He spent time today counting the money in his money box, and he proudly announced that he had $82 to spend in America. I told him we must check out this “Wallmart” shop that we see in all the American movies!

I looked into the charity “Healing the Children” as featured in the Herald article about Mel Gibson donating 17 million dollars to fund this organization. They state that they send children from all parts of the world to countries for their medical treatment. They are based in America, so let’s hope they respond to my plea for help. We are up to almost $108,000 now. I am hoping that by the end of next week this amount increases significantly. Our passports are ready, and I will pick them up on Monday. I am running around like a headless chook making preparations for our departure on the 17th or 18th of January. The flights will be booked on Monday. I am still allowing next week to obtain a visa, but as yet I have not heard from the American consulate on a time. They rang and said that they could bring my appointment forward from the 20th, so I am hoping that if I go into the place on Monday that they can see me, or at least give me a time to come back…we’ll see how I go.

Dylan is excited about seeing his best friend from school tomorrow. Tim is taking them all to miniature golf while I run around and do some more preparations for the trip. Cain is a little anxious about the whole situation, but I have explained that I love him just as much as I love Dylan, but that Dylan needs me more at this moment. I told him that I will think of him everyday and ring him every second day and that I will never ever stop loving him too. Cain said he understood and that I must take Dylan to get better, but he still cried and hugged me for a long time. This is going to be tough on all of us, but it must be done. If Dylan is left in Australia to die, that’s going to be worse.