Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Dylan has a fever

We got moved today into another room. We are now in with another NB patient, a 4 year old girl at the same stage of treatment as Dylan and under going the same treatment. There seems to be a lot of new families in the ward lately, mostly leukemia I think. The nurses are flat out and there is no bed space. You can tell the new families because their kids still have hair! Dylan had his second dose of Chemo today, Cyclophosphamide. He continues on Ondansetron for the nausea, Bactrim to prevent pneumonia, Keflex to prevent his back injury from infection, Magnesium and Ranitidine for gut ulceration.
He had a relatively good night with only one vomit, mind you he has not eaten or had his peg feeds. He did however manage to wet the bed right through his pull ups, 5 times! I attempted to get a nappy on him but he fought me the whole time saying it was for babies, so I never actually got one on him. At about midnight a child got rushed from the cancer ward to ICU (intensive care). I did not recognize the father, so I don’t think I knew the child. When I saw the nurse, she was crying, so it must have been bad. At 5am Tiana got a temperature and they brought doctors in to see her, so she will not be going home tomorrow as hoped. Dylan’s Temp reached 38.3 again today but hopefully it will go down so we can get home tomorrow.