Monday, January 15, 2007

The waiting game

Dylan has had a really rough few days. He had a blood nose that just would not stop bleeding and required his nose to be “packed” to stop the bleeding. He also had 2 platelet transfusions, a blood transfusion and a plasma transfusion to control the situation. All is fine now though, his platelets are being kept about 50 to prevent further nose bleed issues. TPN has been started and generally speaking, apart from feeling a bit of nausea, Dylan is in good spirits. We are still waiting for those counts to rise before he gets discharged…no signs yet though. After the last stem cell rescue it took 14 days before the counts came up enough to be discharged, and right now we are on day 6. We met with Dr Modak on Friday and he said that we will do scans and a full work up in about 3 weeks. Assuming Dylan is still stable or has decrease in disease then he will give us a few not so “intense options of therapy. This could be low dose chemo, or depending on Dylan’s HAMA results, even 3F8. But for now, we are not looking too far ahead, we will take the time to recover, then check on Dylan’s work up results, then take and make decisions from there. The saying “take each day at a time” is so true, and I remind myself of this all the time. Tim and Cain leave on Wednesday, we are trying not to think about it and have a silent state on the issue when we are all together. I have changed Dylan’s guestbook because there still seems to be many users who are unable to post messages for some reason. Well, lets give this one a whirl and see how it goes, let me know what you think.Dylan's new guestbook