Friday, September 2, 2005

Hospital admission

Well, Dylan is back in hospital, even before Tim and Cain actually landed in Australia! Tim said he walked in the door and my mum greeted him with, “welcome back…Dylan’s in hospital!” After Tim and Cain left on Wednesday afternoon, Dylan was very quiet and did not speak to me at all, except to ask me for pizza. Then Thursday morning at 10am we went off to clinic for chemo and a blood transfusion, and still Dylan was very quiet and sleepy. We arrived back at the Ronald McDonald House by 4pm and Dylan complained he was cold, so I put him into some winter pajamas and wrapped him in his Sponge Bob blanket. He fell asleep shortly after and I lay next to him reading a book. By 6pm I could see his face looking rather red, so I took his temperature…40.1 in one ear and 39.9 in the other! We arrived at Urgent care at about 6:30pm and he was admitted. Blood cultures were taken from each line and he was started on 3 antibiotics, Amikacin, Vancomycin and Ciprofloxacin. Dylan slept the whole time and didn’t wake up until 11am this morning. Dylan woke very happy and chatty, I think he is actually happy about being in hospital because he has all his chicky babe nurses fussing over him. He spent most of the day playing the computer, watching the crocodile hunter on the animal planet channel and chatting on the phone to daddy. His blood cultures have come back as gram positive cocci and his fever has been up and down, but he is not neutropenic yet, so they gave him his final day of the chemo round. By there afternoon he fell asleep again, with the ipod blaring in his ears. We are unsure how long Dylan will be hospitalized for, it could be a few days or up to 2 weeks. It all depends on his fever, his blood cultures and his blood counts. I am busily going through many emails, and catching up on thank you notes and letters. I apologize for the delay in response to those who have emailed and written us. Thank you to everyone who has signed the guest book, I am still amazed at our support network and all the friends we are making. I bought a copy of “People” magazine that came out today and on page 10 there is a small snippet follow up on last weeks story on Dylan.