Wednesday, January 5, 2005

Another email from MSKCC in New York

Here is a snippet of the email I received from MSKCC today, this says it all, we need all the donations and help we can get before time runs out. The initial cost for consultation is $5,500 which we can wire over tomorrow.

Ms. Hartung,

We have received notification from our Pediatrics Department that after
discussion with you, Dr. Modak has agreed to see Dylan for consultation
and work up.

The attached referral recommendation letter outlines the deposit
requirement for this visit. The amount is the standard deposit for
consultation visits. Should actual charges be more than the deposited
amount, you will be billed any balances due after the visit. Should
actual charges be less, you will receive a refund of any over-payment
once all charges have been posted and verified.

Should you decide to stay on at MSK for Dylan to receive treatment, the required deposit would be $350,000, which would again be a deposit toward costs associated with that treatment.

Thank you.

This is U.S dollars, so in actual fact we need to raise approx $450,000!!! And that’s initial treatment. I guess I don’t have to tell any of you how I feel, nor how frustrated and helpless I am right now. I am going to go though, I am determined to continue and I know that my dedicated friends at Australia Post will continue to get the funds required.
On the up side, Dylan is doing very well in himself, apart from the fact that he had a blood test today, which he hated as it was from his arm and needles terrify him. Dylan truly believes that our trip to New York will cure him of this beast, when I told him that they want to see him in 14 sleeps, he say "Oh that's good mummy" I think he just wants it all to be over and to woken up from this whole nightmare.
Knowing that he has a chance on the other side of the world that I may not be able to access is agonizing, I have stayed up all night emailing and creating letters to people to tell our story, and I have no appetite. I am also in tears and full of rage. The last time I felt like this was the first week that Dylan was diagnosed, I don't know which is worse.