Thursday, February 28, 2008

PET Scan results

Well what have we done this week? Alyssa had her surgery so I have spent a lot of time at the hospital in the ICU helping Jennie out. She is doing well now, each day she is improving but the full results of this third brain tumor will not be in until next week and then we should find out what treatment she will need. I have not told Dylan, only that she is in the hospital and thankfully he has not asked why. I guess these kids are so use to the hospital life that it’s just normal for them to hear that. Dylan is very close to Alyssa and so I feel the need to protect him from worrying about her. I saw the nurse practioner at MSKCC who told me that Dylan’s PET scan shows a stable result so that’s good, but that the disease is “live” and not dead. I have to wait until I see Dr Modak for the official print out result. His blood counts are great, the best so far since the “hot antibody” treatment done in October 2006. His platelets have made it to 91, so hopefully they will climb a little further so we can consider a stem cell harvest soon. His red and white blood cells are fantastic too. Dylan has been great, except he complained of some pain in both elbows and in both his thighs the other night, and asked for some pain relief. Am I worried? Well, yes and no, every time he has pain and we do a scan, we get a stable result, although I know that this could change at anytime. Sometimes I guess it could be growing pains and the other possibility could be late effects from the Accutane. I don’t feel the need to rush to clinic for an early scan, I think it would be more of a consistent pain if things were taking a turn for the worse. Last night we spent some time with Jake. He came to play with the boys and what a delight he was. Jake is a veteran NB warrior, battling this disease for over 7 years now. Jake too is HAMA positive like Dylan, awaiting the new up coming trials and humanizing of the 3F8. Jake just takes it all in his stride like all these kids do, we chatted about the treatments he had done and he proudly showed me his website. It never ceases to amaze me though, how these kids just brush off all that they have been though and say “ah it’s ok, you get use to it, it’s not that bad”. Jake is now on the “Children of the House” link so you can follow his progress too.