Wednesday, March 2, 2005

Neutropenic ANC 0

Dylan’s Neutrophils are still 0, so we are still in hospital. I was feeling very down when Dylan woke up today, because he was so depressed and miserable. He just isn’t himself and that makes me feel awful. Then his teacher came in all bright and bubbly (as she always is) She sort of reminds me of someone from Sesame Street, and I mean that in the nicest of ways, she’s just wonderful, and so American! Well, Dylan ignored her for about 2 minutes and then he just couldn’t stay grumpy and sad. They started playing addition games and Dylan showed her just how clever he is even though he has hardly attended any school. He actually smiled and I had not seen that for 2 days. I listened in on their conversations and he just kept talking about Cain, what Cain likes, what Cain does, what Cain plays with him. His teacher let him choose some stickers, he choose stickers of balloons with smiley faces on them and said “I can give these to Cain for his birthday!” I then realized just how much Dylan is missing his brother. He never actually says it, but I think that is why he is so down.
Well, hopefully they can reunite soon. Tim and Cain are just working out things that have to be done before they can come and see us. Things have to be sorted like, school, work, bills etc. Tim planned on staying for 2 weeks but I told him I would not let him go back, once he arrived, so we (well, I) decided he must stay for 4 weeks. Thanks to the generous donation of Australia Post, Tim’s airfare is paid for, and thanks to Qantas, Cain can come too. It will do wonders for Dylan’s recovery and it will help Tim and Cain visualize where we are, when we are all apart.

We also had a visit from a VIP, The Australian Consul General, Ken and his wife, Jill. What lovely and kind people. Ken met with Graeme John who is the CEO of Australia Post and they discussed Dylan and what can be done to help his campaign, that’s when Graeme John said Post will fund Tim’s airline ticket to New York. Rebecca and Rene from the consulate office have been amazing. They are always there when I need and chat and a visitor. The connections that they have put me onto in New York have been fantastic, like meeting Jim Bliku from “Operation OZ kids USA”. Jim works for Qantas and is working with the consulate to organize the flight schedule for Tim and Cain. Jim is also helping out with getting supplies needed for Dylan, sent from Australia. Fundraising is also been discussed.

I just found Dylan on the NYC Ronald McDonald website, take a look:
http://www.rmdh.org/photos.htm

I found this on another site and it made me smile, thought I would share it with you.

"You know you are a parent of a child with cancer when........."

Kids with hair look kind of strange to you.

Your spouse asks what that sexy perfume is, and it's Betadine.

You enjoy the drive at 3:00am to the emergency room because there aren't any other cars on the freeway.

You hear a truck backing up and you think the IV is beeping.

Your child's bedroom looks like a Toys R Us store.

You ask your CPA if bribe toys are tax deductible.

You can read the doctors prescription word for word, and are asked to decipher it by the pharmacist.

You wrap presents and packages with medical tape. (I have actually done this!!!)

Your child can easily pronounce "Neuroblastoma," "chemotherapy" and "hemoglobin," but has trouble pronouncing the state you live in.

And finally, for the rest of you:

You know you are the friend of a family with a child with cancer when you call to check the chemo schedule and ask "How will his counts be on, say, the 11th?" before you schedule a birthday party for your own child!