Sunday, December 5, 2004

Email from another parent gives me hope

Today we met Derek, a bereaved father of a beautiful five year old boy named Drake. It has been 7 months since he lost Drake to Neuroblastoma. Drake fought for 18 months and was NED for 8 months, but when it came back, it took him in just 8 weeks. Dylan really took to Derek, he sat on his lap and rested his head on his chest for an hour, until Derek’s legs went numb. Dylan does not usually do this with strangers but I feel that he sensed Derek’s pain. When Derek arrived at our front door, he wasn’t sure how he would cope meeting Dylan, but by the time he left he said that Dylan had given him overwhelming comfort, and how pleased he was to have met him. He saw how much Dylan enjoyed life…Derek told us we must never give up. Later that night I got onto the Internet again researching and overloading my mind with information, I now spend most of my time searching for hope and some sort of miracle. I received an email from another NB parent from the U.S. She told me of a surgeon who operated on her 7 year old daughter and was able to completely resect her very complicated tumor with several major blood vessels/arteries encased in it. Since the surgery in August, she has cleared her bone marrow for the first time and her bone disease is reduced from several locations to one, much reduced spot on her skull. This Doctor is a world renowned surgeon, Dr LaQuaglia. Tomorrow I will call Dr Heath and speak to him about the Sloan Kettering Cancer Clinic in New York. If I need to take Dylan there, I will beg, borrow and steal to get him there if this will save his life.