Thursday, December 23, 2004

Dylan asks "Can God hear you?"

Dylan was in bed last night and he said to me “Can God hear you?” “I asked him why? Do you want to speak to him?” Here I was thinking, he’s going to say something to make me cry, but instead he said something to make me laugh! He said “No, it’s just when dad like says swear words when he is driving in the car, will he go to hell or something? I smiled and said “No darling, he won’t go to hell for that” Later in our night time conversation Dylan said “I know I’m not going to die from my tumour, because you only die from the world’s biggest tumor, and mines not that big” I then told him how we are going to get the money to get to America so they can take out his tumour so he can get well, and he asked “how do they put the skin back together and will I get to see what it looks like.” He is just so innocent, it’s so unfair that a 6 year old should be even speaking about these things. Dylan knows what neutrophils are, and all about platelets…most adults don’t even know what they are! Sometimes I call him Doctor Dylan, because he knows so much about the whole medical thing now. Just the other day, at home, he pointed out to me that his hickman line had been clamped by the nurse in the wrong position, and ordered me to rectify the problem!

Dylan had his spiritual healing done today with Travina. Travina has been involved with Dylan since his diagnosis and we now get weekly healings. I am not sure whether I believe in it or not, but I am trying every avenue. Since Dylan’s diagnosis, he has told me things that have sent shivers up my spine and made me question, the possibilities of his spiritual connections. Regardless of my believes, Dylan has a deep connection with Travina and enjoys her healing sessions, her company, and they also both share their love of crystals and precious stones.

I picked up another pile of letters and cards from wonderful people making donations. I have to share a few, that really touched my heart… A 12 year old boy donated money he earned busking. Other kids have decorated envelopes and letters and sending their pocket money. Another lady wrote, I was going to buy a new pair of work shoes but I can glue them, I hope you have surgery in New York that can be fixed up like my shoes, best wishes because wishes sometimes come true. Another little girl sent her photo, lollies, stickers and a lovely letter wanting to be pen pals with Dylan (We will make sure we send her a post card if we make it to the U.S) And a 15 year old girl wrote a letter explaining that she felt Dylan really deserves a chance at life, so she is sending her donation of $50 that she earned babysitting, and that if we get enough money to get to New York she wants Dylan to buy himself a really awesome present for himself with her $50.
My eyes just flood with tears as I read all these letters. Thank you to everyone, for your support and wishes, it is my strength to continue. I will never be able to express my gratitude, but I hope that one day, Dylan will arrive back in Australia cured, and everyone who had a part in his treatment can line the streets and cheer.

The fundraising to get Dylan to New York has been amazing. In just 6 days my work has received over $50,000 already! This afternoon I received a phone call from work to say that Australia Post has now taken the campaign officially on board nationally and is putting Dylan on their website. They are selling t-shirts for $5 online and all the proceeds will go to Dylan’s campaign. This is just incredible. I have always loved working for Australia Post and I always brag about what a great organisation they are to work for, and they have just proven how fantastic they are. When I told my best friend the news, she said “see, it was meant to be…working for Post all these years” Now that Australia Post have made this step, we can have a better chance at advertising the campaign and getting the coverage we need to get the donations rolling in. I held my little man in my arms and said, “”baby we are going to get to America!” I am so much more positive that this is going to be achievable now. I have added a link to my page, to visit the Australia Post website, where t-shirts will be available to purchase on line. Not sure when it will be sent up, so keep checking...it should be on by Xmas eve or earlier.